Our members are local singers and musicians ranging in age from those in the fourth grade to octogenarians (and sometimes beyond!). We all share a common desire to bring the joy of great music to the community and take pride in our performances. We do not require an audition to join any of our choral groups. The only requirements are the love of music and the willingness and perseverance to prepare and perform it to the best of our abilities.
Information and Responsibilities of Membership
- Rehearsals - Rehearsals for the winter concert begin on the first Monday after Labor Day, and for the spring concert in February. Most rehearsals are held at Hebron United Methodist Church, 451 E. Walnut Street, in Lebanon. The final two Monday rehearsals before the winter and spring concerts, as well as a final on site, or "dress" rehearsal are held at the concert venue. Cancellations are listed on the home page of our website and on our Facebook page as soon as possible after the decision to cancel a rehearsal has been made. In addition, all members will be notified via email, or by phone (if possible) for those without access to email.
- Attendance - Members of the Lebanon County Choral Society are expected to attend all rehearsals, if possible. A sign-in sheet will be provided for check-in for the Adult Chorus. If you cannot attend a rehearsal please alert the section leader, and try to have no more than two (2) absences per concert season. A meeting with the Artistic Director is required if a member misses more than two rehearsals and wishes to participate in the concert. In cases when members are unable to sing at a rehearsal due to, for example a sore throat, it is advisable to attend the rehearsal anyway, and sit in the back behind the ensemble. Rehearsals start promptly at 5:30 PM (Youth Chorus), and 7:30 PM (Adult Chorus) and conclude at approximately 6:30 PM, and 9:15 PM, respectively. Please make every effort to be on time.
- Parking For Rehearsals - If possible, Choral Society members should park in the west lot furthest away from the church building so that those with mobility issues may park closer to the church, and so as not to impede parking for church members arriving for Monday evening church functions.
- Dues - Dues are $30.00 per concert season ($15.00 for the Youth Chorus members and Students) and are payable to the Treasurer (currently Cheryl Dahlberg, Soprano Section) by the third rehearsal of the season. Consideration will be made for any member for whom the fee is a hardship (please speak with Cheryl, or with any Board Member). Checks should be made payable to the Lebanon County Choral Society.
- Music - Members are encouraged, but not required to purchase their music each season. This helps to defray costs. The Treasurer will inform the membership as to the cost of the music. Members who do not purchase music are requested to return it to the Music Librarian (currently Jen Trexler) immediately after the concert, as instructed. Checks for music are payable to the Lebanon County Choral Society.
- Music Markings - Mark your music with pencil only, PLEASE. The artistic director will make markings available throughout the winter and spring seasons on our website, as email attachments, and/or in a GoogleDoc folder accessible to all members. Singers are asked to mark their own music outside of rehearsal time. Singers who do not have access to these electronic sources should notify their section leader who can then make arrangements for them to get the markings.
- Music Preparation - Singers are not required to read music for participation in the Lebanon County Choral Society. That said, rehearsals move at a pace that assumes some level of music literacy. Practice materials for some of the repertoire will be made available, and additional help is available from the artistic director and the section leaders, or from other members. Sectional rehearsals may be scheduled from time to time to work on parts, as needed. Please do not be intimidated if this is your first choral experience, or your first choral experience in a long while. You may speak with the artistic director at any time about any concerns you may have.
- Warm-up - A fairly extensive warm-up is provided at each rehearsal and before concerts. This is intended not only to get the voice ready for singing, but to build ensemble, improve vocal technique, increase range, and build a vocabulary of musicality. Singers are encouraged to do some warm-up before rehearsal, if possible and especially if they find that the ensemble warm-up does not meet their needs.
- Solos - Some solos will be performed by hired professionals, while others will be assigned to members of the Choral Society, at the discretion of the artistic director. Until solos are assigned, any singer is welcome to sing solos for their part, both for the practice opportunity and to fill in gaps in the music. Solo auditions are typically held three to four weeks before the concert.
- Concert Dress - Adult Chorus - Women: all black (wrist to ankles) with comfortable black shoes and understated jewelry. No hair spray or perfume. Men: Dark suit (preferably black) or tuxedo, white dress or tux shirt with black bow tie, comfortable black shoes. No hair spray or cologne. Members are required to provide their own concert dress. Members are required to provide black folders for concert performances. Youth Chorus members will be advised by their artistic director as to the appropriate concert dress.
- Help With the Organization - Organizations like ours thrive when everyone helps with the work that needs to be done. Every member is encouraged to serve on at least one committee, assist with the work of that group, and volunteer as they are able when the call is made. For a list of committees, please click here. We also ask every member to help with promoting our concerts and our organization. Hanging a flyer at a business you frequent, sharing one of our promotional posts on Facebook, or asking a friend if they are interested in singing with us goes a long way toward the success of the Choral Society.